✘ Brian Ray (Paul McCartney)

Guild M-85





Epiphone Jack Casady




































Is the Epiphone Jack Casady your main bass on stage? It's my main bass right now. I've got a gold one--as you've probably seen--that I've been playing for over probably two years now and then I have a black one that you've probably never seen on stage as a back-up. I haven't needed it!




































With all the possible basses at your disposal, why did you choose an Epiphone Jack Casady? One of the elements that I wanted to employ was a longer scale bass. The thing about, say, a P-bass is you’re not quite centered when you’re playing—everything happens a little far back to the bridge. Paul plays a lot of palm muting and picking with his right hand and it's just ergonomically hard to palm and pick when your hand is way over to the right physically. And the Epi is lot better for that. It's also a single pickup, which appeals to me. I like the tone of it. It has a bigger body to it than, say, an SG bass, that I was using. The Jack Casady has a bigger sort of tonal body and a very strong fundamental, and a nice point to it. I'm looking for a certain amount of point and a certain amount of pillow-ness on stage. And I didn't want a sound that people are overly familiar with. I wanted to be sort of a little bit alternative. Also, it's a cool old body style.



Source: http://www.epiphone.com/News/Features/2013/Brian-Ray-The-Epiphone-Interview.aspx